Carpets are pretty simple to maintain. If they are treated well, you can expect many years of wear from a good quality carpet.
- Deal with spillages quickly. Spills will disappear more easily if they are dealt with immediately:
- A clean, white cloth kitchen towel or tissues should be used
- Stains should be blotted rather than rubbed
- The stain should be worked from the outside in to avoid it spreading
- The pile should be brushed up to help the carpet retain its appearance as it dries
- Any proprietary cleaning agents should be applied to a cloth and not directly to a carpet. If a cleaning agent is used then the area should be rinsed with clean water, but do not over-wet the carpet.
- Avoid direct sunlight. Blinds and curtains will protect your carpet from the colour fade caused by sustained direct sunlight.
- Heavy items of furniture can result in indentations in your carpet and underlay. The use of furniture cups can help to avoid this. Where possible, it is always a good idea to rotate furniture periodically.
How to deep clean carpet
1. Clear the room entirely.
2. Tidy away any toys and books or anything that is lying around (two birds, one stone as they say!). Remove any furniture, too.
3. Next, give the room a vacuum to get rid of as much dust and dirt as possible.
4. If you have rented or bought a carpet cleaner, follow the manufacturer’s instructions closely. Remember to pour both water and the cleaning solution into the machine.
5. Start away from the door – if you begin by the door, you may find yourself trapped in the corner!
6. Once you have gone over the room, open the windows to help speed up the drying process.